Sunday, January 27, 2013

Summary Vs. Analysis



Summary Vs. Analysis


How does a summary differ from an analysis? Well, in my opinion, the purpose of a summary is to give a basic idea of what the literature is about. When writing a summary you should always use your own words to describe the story. Always include the title and the author. Anytime I pick out a new book to read I always read the summary first, just to make sure the book is something that I may be interested in reading. I was taught to do this by my second grade teacher. Often included in a summary are the characters, settings and  best of all it leaves you in suspense. 

In my favorite book "The Amityville Horror" by Jay Anson is based on a true story of George and Kathy Lutz. It is set in November of 1975 on Long Island, New York. The Lutz and their three children moved into what they called their dream home. They were unaware that this house had a history, six murders were committed at the home. Once the Lutz, moved into their home the children started to hear noises, and see images, and their father George Lutz, started to act strange. The Lutz, only lasted 28 days in the home, due to horrific demonic activity. I believe this is a summary because I did not go into a lot of detail nor did I use my opinion regarding the situation. 

  When I hear the word analysis I think of lawyers or scientist that question who? what? and where? Therefore my definition of analysis is reading a story and trying to draw a conclusion.  In an analysis you are using more of your opinion vs. a summary you are telling the facts. If I were to analyse The Amityville Horror, I would delve deeper into the story.  For example, the son who murdered his seven family members also heard voices telling him to kill. In the story George Lutz, also stated that he heard voices that also told him to kill his family. When analyzing you are playing a detective role. You start thinking, well maybe this place was haunted before the murders took place, did evil happen on the land where the house was sitting on? I admit that after I read the book I researched the story. If I am reading a true story I like to analyse the story just to make sure that nothing was forgotten. 

Picture of the 1977 first edition dust jacket for The Amityville Horror.

http://www.fedpo.com/images/TheAmityvilleHorror/01TheAmityvilleHorror.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment