![]() | ||||||||
| Poverty in Ireland |
http://www.irelandhistory.org/irish-history/ireland-irish-history/the-poverty-in-ireland-and-the-sufferings-of-the-people.html
In "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift, Swift is clearly upset about the poverty and over population of Ireland. Mothers are begging for good, the children who grew up in poverty are becoming thieves, natives are selling themselves, and infants are being murdered because mothers can not afford to keep them. Swift, blames the Roman Catholics for causing the over population and is upset because nothing is being done to stop the over population nor nothing is being done about the poverty level in Ireland. Swift, grotesquely comes up with some bizarre unethical ideas to help the poor overcome poverty. He recommends that the poor sell their children to the rich, not for slaves but for food. You will get more money if your child is plump and they must be one years of age. Swift also suggest that the skin of these children will be used to make gloves and boots for the wealthy.
-When reading this story it reminded me of a recent story about a country in North Korea that was hit by famine that indeed were taking it to Swifts level not selling their children to the rich but eating the dead and children. The link I posted is the article about North Korea. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2269094/North-Korean-parents-eat-children-driven-mad-hunger-famine-hit-pariah-state.html

You did a good job re-caping the proposal and giving a good idea about the overall idea of Swift's solution. But, I think you should address whether you think Swifts's proposal is effective to his audience, and what audience.
ReplyDeleteThanks Joey. I read what I blogged and thought to myself I still have no thesis! I have been working on this essay so hard due to the last one that I wrote was a flop! lol.
ReplyDelete